Do you have some foreign coins lurking at the bottom of drawers or kept in a jar? I found a handful the other day and though it was a shame they are hidden away. So I turned them into a cute DIY coin charm bracelet so I could carry my holiday memories around with me. You can add to it every trip and keep a record of all your travels.
It is very easy to do. You need a low-speed drill and some metal drill bits. A little cutting oil can also help to make the drilling easier if the metal is very hard. I use a simple hand drill and it only takes about a minute (if that) to drill through the coins.
You can make your own bracelet using some loose chain or you can buy ready-made charm bracelets from eBay very cheaply from the crafts section.
I plan to look out more closely for interesting coins to add to my bracelet every time I go somewhere now.
You will need;
metal drill bits;
x2 pairs of chain nose pliers;
1. Use a centre punch to make a mark about 1-2mm from the edge of the coin. This will stop the drill “skipping” around when you start drilling and scratching the surface of the coin.
2. Using a 1mm drill bit make a hole in the coin.
3. Like this!!!
4. And obviously do all your coins.
5. Cut a length of chain for your bracelet. (You could use a ready-made bracelet as well.)
6. Using 2 jump rings attach a clasp at one end and add another jump ring to the other using your chain nose pliers. (See here for opening and closing a jump ring tips.)
7. Thread a jump ring through each hole of your coins…
8. …and attach them to your bracelet.
9. And you are all done!!!
I am sure I have more coins hidden around the house. I’m going to have a hunt around and dig them out!